Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sweaty dirty little palms

Sweaty little palms are always reaching for me, tugging at my shirt, asking for more, covering me with hugs and wiping their dirt on my clean outfit. Sometimes by the end of the day, I feel as though I have nothing left to give as though every bit of energy has been taken by these sweaty little palms. Otherdays, its barely noon and I already feel this way. And when I feel like I've given everything I've got, there always seems to be time to dig a little deeper and give a little more. But this week, in the chaos of it all, one of these sweaty little palms reminded me of how God wants us to give....

One of the other missionary's kid was celebrating their birthday today and some of the girls in our dorm were invited to the party. My girls came back beaming with smiles from ear to ear all wearing princess crowns and retelling their favourite memories from the party. They were each carrying a little party loot bag and couldn't have been more pleased.

Mia came to show me her crown and little bag of loot. Then unprompted, she reached her sweaty dirty little palm in the bag and pulled out two little gummies for me. In that moment she reminded me of what it means to give. She was giving out of such a pure and genuine heart. For one rare occasion, she had something to give. She had a little handful of candy and she choose to share it with me. She wanted me to partake in her joy and special treat. And she didn't just give me one gummy, as though out of compulsion or guilt, she gave me two. She reminded me of the way God wants us to go before Him and give. Not giving out of compulsion, giving out of joy and out of blessed abundance. 

Mia didn't have much candy, but she had enough to share. Her simplicity and purity could not have been more touching to me. Sometimes I feel like I have nothing left to give these beautiful little girls before me. But in these moments, God reminds me that I have everything to give and more. Sometimes a simple hug, a little kiss and a bit of love are more than enough because we don't give of ourselves but out of the abundance of love God has poured on us. 

And so these same sweaty dirty little palms that almost always seem to be looking for more love, more time, more snuggles, more laughter, more of me and taking everything they can from me, are also the most beautiful joyful giving little sweaty palms you'll ever meet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment